Monday, December 31, 2012

Ring out, Wild Bells.

There's a church hymn called, Ring Out, Wild Bells, that we sang yesterday in the family ward I went to. While sitting next to my friend Shaun as the hymn was announced he murmured, "I hate this song." We sang the hymn, closed the books and I turned to him to ask why. He stated the hymn is all about putting the past year behind us because it's negative and there's nothing good about it. While I do feel that there were challenges to 2012, there are challenges to every year and along with challenges also come many wonderful moments.

So, as I sit in reflection of this last year, I'm determined to think of only the amazing moments that have helped mold, shape, and force me to grow.

I was endowed. (For those that read my blog that aren't Mormon, it's the culmination of all things Mormon :) outside of getting married.) My best friend Cait came out for it and it was such an amazing day.

I went to Barcelona, Spain and the South of France where I spent 14 lovely days getting to know amazing people and experiencing a different culture filled with escargots, duck liver, and Salvador Dali.

Had a surprise birthday for my mother in April with all of her friends and a Harley Davidson themed cake. I love surprising people :)

Became the Relief Society president at church. Along with tremendous challenges it has shown me God's love firsthand.

Met the most amazing guy that showed me how to laugh, love, and ultimately learn.

My best friend got pregnant after struggling for quite some time and I absolutely cannot wait to meet my little nephew!

Turned 30! And had an amazingly awesome carnival themed party with lots of friends and family.

Had a super sweet costume for Halloween and was Mrs. Potts from Beauty and the Beast.

My nephew Colton turned 1 and we had a mustache party for him and although he may not realize his level of awesomeness yet, he's the coolest kid in existence.

Painted my first mural on two of my nephew's bedroom walls and found a new talent/hobby that I wouldn't mind developing more.

Went to New York City for a week in December, saw the tree lighting at Rockefeller center, ate lots of amazing food, and spent time with my friend Kat!

Went blonde. I suppose that isn't much of an exciting moment since I always tend to change my hair cut and color but I'll add it.

Bought lots of shoes. Spent countless hours at anthropologie. Listened to loads of music and saw amazing concerts.

I know that life can get the best of us and the negative moments when dwelled upon really can get us down and make us miserable but after making this list of things to be grateful for in 2012, I'm beyond blessed for the experiences, family, friends (new and old) that I've had this past year and I only look forward to becoming a better person, loving Christ a little more, and recognizing the happiness I have within me during 2013.

I wish you all a safe, happy, and healthy New Year and may you challenge yourself to be better, develop your talents, and love more this coming year.

3 comments:

  1. I love this, Nicole!!! While singing "Ring Out, Wild Bells" yesterday, I was like, YES, let the old year die!!! But that's because 2012 was heartbreaking for the most part. However, when I sat down to write my belated Christmas letter last night, I was overjoyed to think of all of the WONDERFUL things that the last year included, not to mention all of the growth and wisdom that came as a byproduct of the painful things. So much of what we get out of life truly is a matter of attitude and perception! Here's hoping 2013 is our best year yet. We make 30 look fabulous, lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little baby is excited to welcome you at the airport in 2 short months! Love you BFF :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers to new challenges, continued growth and a more life love and memories in 2013...

    ReplyDelete

Oooh yes, please give me your opinion!

My world... my thoughts

I can't apologize if you don't like what you read I can only apologize that you stumbled on my page.