Monday, January 28, 2013

Send Her Off.

Last night Stevo and I drove up to see Goose but before arriving to her room, we stopped to talk to Les, one of my favorite residents with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). He looked at me as he told a story about a friend of his that was dying and loved music. On his final days, all of their friends gathered around and sang and played instruments to send him off in the right manner. Les then challenged me with the question, "How do you think Gloria would like to be sent off?"

As I sat and pondered that question, I couldn't think of an answer. How WOULD she want to be sent off? I said on the beach or something but I couldn't think of an answer. Nothing seemed like the perfect answer. We made our way into the room as I watched her frail body breathe in and out. Her eyes were shut, she was not responsive but suddenly she opened her eyes wide at Stevo as she motioned for him to come near her, she pulled his arm close and began rubbing his arm. I couldn't help but get emotional, it was such a sweet moment.

Life is full of many sweet moments and all too often they are overlooked. My eyes have been incredibly open and aware to the beautiful moments with Goose and I will cherish them forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oooh yes, please give me your opinion!

My world... my thoughts

I can't apologize if you don't like what you read I can only apologize that you stumbled on my page.