Saturday, February 2, 2013

Desensitized.

Death, accidents, trauma, violence, you name it, as a society we have become numb. Between glamorized television shows and news reporting, we don't even bat an eye at shocking or gruesome things. I know this to be true from firsthand experience.

Last night Stevo and I were walking Wendy home, about a mile away from my place when Wendy began telling a story that a homeless man had been killed while walking across the street near our houses just hours before. As we walked down the street our eyes all fixated on the pair of cops to our left as I joked, "was it right here?"

None of us were expecting my joke to hold any truth until we all looked down about 1 foot from where we were walking to see human remains.

Shock.

Was that really what we thought it was? Yes.
Were the cops really that nonchalant about us walking so close? Yes.
But more importantly, why wasn't I more affected?

I can only hope that the reality of it all didn't sink in and that's why it didn't impact me. How do we possibly keep ourselves from being desensitized?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oooh yes, please give me your opinion!

My world... my thoughts

I can't apologize if you don't like what you read I can only apologize that you stumbled on my page.