Monday, April 2, 2012

Wind Tunnel (Sent March 17, 2012).

You just can't put a castle in your accommodations in the middle of a trip because everything after that is going to be a disappointment! Lucien drove me to the bus stop this morning at 8 am, after my last night warm shower, a blow dryer, and some fresh strawberry marmalade atop fresh baked bread. I took a train from Auch to Tarbes, a larger city, where I was able to catch a train to San Sebastian. There was this amazing city which I didn't get to stop at but now I am slightly regretting it. Saint Jean de Luz, on the southwest part of France was absolutely serene. I am honestly thinking of taking the train there tomorrow however I am afraid if I go there, I won't return, and I am not kidding. Please go google this town because it is amazing and a hidden gem. I arrived in San Sebastian and followed my directions to the hostel, directions I am not sure who put together but none of them were correct. A nice couple walked with me part way and directed me in the correct direction. Lost yet again I stopped at the tourist center to find out where the street I was looking for was. Carrying a 20 pound bag on your back, plus a camera bag, and a shopping bag with gifts, makes for a very dreaded walk! After finally reaching the hostel this woman came running up to me and asked my name, which I told her. She said in Spanish, because she spoke no English, that she had tried to email me and tell me there was no room in the hostel tonight, that it was the weekend and the entire city was booked. She had used a Spanish to English translator to write the email and it didn't translate that way for me. I was quite frustrated at this point, she told me there was another hostel that she owned AH! That sent before I meant it to. Anyway, she paid for a taxi to pick us up and take us to the other hostel, where I have my own room and own bathroom, so it is pretty much a hotel, no castle, but a decent place.

I laid all my stuff down and made my way into the city, when suddenly it got freezing, about 40 degrees, and the wind was blowing worse than when my brother and I went skydiving. I began praying for the wind to stop. All I wanted was to find something to eat and find the hostel, two things I could not find. There is more shopping here than Beverly Hills. There are streets and streets of shops. I finally came across a market and bought some bread, a pear, some marmalade, and ham. Tonight I am going to relax and then tomorrow I will explore the city. I really hope the weather is nice because this place is all beaches!!

Oh, Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oooh yes, please give me your opinion!

My world... my thoughts

I can't apologize if you don't like what you read I can only apologize that you stumbled on my page.