Friday, April 13, 2012

Turning the Other Cheek.

Like all gospel principles, you understand what it means, and it's easy to tell others what they should do when a certain situation arises, however, suddenly when the principle applies to your own life, it's like pulling teeth.

Turn the other cheek.

It seems simple, but being the bigger person is never easy. I am not sure where we as humans ever got the notion that things in life were supposed to be easy. We seem to grunt at everything that is difficult and simply expect life to be a breeze. I am guilty of this, I know. The fact is, trials come and when they come they shape our character. You can tell a lot about a person from how they handle life's unpleasant situations. That thought is slightly scary since I am sure I am not the best example of eloquently handling obstacles.

Sometimes you know a trial is coming, but even the knowledge of it cannot prepare you for the exhaustion both physically and mentally. I was raised to "kill people with kindness," however I often think the kindness will kill me... haha, since it is SO hard to do sometimes. I think of Jesus and how he was faced with prosecution and hatred and how his only response was silence. I pray that if I can't find the words to say that I too can simply love others and embrace them with silence as I turn the other cheek and continue on.

We can't control other people, and we can't allow other people to control us. If we simply do what is right, and are obedient to the gospel, all things will work out. In that I am fully confident.

"We are not perfect. The people around us are not perfect. People do things that annoy, disappoint, and anger. In this mortal life it will always be that way. Nevertheless, we must let go of our grievances. Part of the purpose of mortality is to learn how to let go of such things. That is the Lord’s way. Remember, heaven is filled with those who have this in common: They are forgiven. And they forgive."

—President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "The Merciful Obtain Mercy", General Conference, Apr. 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oooh yes, please give me your opinion!

My world... my thoughts

I can't apologize if you don't like what you read I can only apologize that you stumbled on my page.