Monday, April 2, 2012

Snails (Sent March 16, 2012).

I am starting to see a ritual here with food and things I would normally keep as pets or simply throw off of the sidewalk. Lucien told me today that the French are all about food, they plan everything around it. Actually it is quite interesting, they wake up late, like 9 am, and have breakfast, something which consists of bread (fresh of course) with marmalade (way better than our jelly in the states), some fresh squeezed orange juice, yogurt (nothing like what we eat, more of a Greek yogurt consistency), and tea or coffee. Because of their relaxed schedule, I was able to sleep in this morning. This bed is incredible, I did not even want to wake up at 9 am. The pillows must be 100% down, you just form right into everything and quite frankly, I would be 100% satisfied if the remainder of my trip was to be spent at this Chateau.

After breakfast I headed into the small town to tour their historical spots, a large cathedral, as well as a 14th century prison. The prison is quite interesting actually, the Catholics used to throw people in the prison and then they would forget about them, leaving them to die in this whole. The prison is not something that you can tour inside, Lucien jokes that there are only bones left rotting inside. One of the amazing things about Europe is the history, I love that these towns are built around architecture that has many stories and history behind them. After exploring the historical part, I of course had to now explore the shopping part :) I bought myself an amazing pair of red leather shoes, they are amazing! I then wandered the streets and happened upon this second hand store. In Spain they did not have any and I was told that is because Spain was a poor country for such a long time and they associate second hand stores with the poor, thus, they have somewhat banned them from the city. Nonetheless, I came across this boutique and saw the most beautiful alligator or crocodile purse in mint condition for 30 euros ($36.00). I found some fabulous belts and leather gloves as well. The total for everything was 40 euros. I reached in my wallet for my card and she quickly said no. They only accepted cash and all I had was 20 euros. The closest bank was back in the city square, which was a good 10 minute walk. In France, they close all the shops at 12 and re-open at 4, another thing that has to do with food. I paid for the smaller things and ran to a bank to get money for the purse. I ran back and the shop was closed. I found a worker in there and I tried to motion with money that I want the purse. After 5 minutes of my hand gestures, she opened the door with the purse and I handed her the 30 euros! I met Lucien back at the city center and we returned to the chateau for lunch.

Snails, salmon, potatoes, beat salad, and bread. Then of course crepe and tea for dessert. When he told me we were having snails for lunch my face was somewhat frightened and suddenly I wasn't too hungry however I felt it an insult not to eat what they have cooked for me, especially since it is another delicacy of France. We had a very long, two hour meal. Lunch is the largest meal for the French people, something us Americans should really catch on to so that we don't eat until we can't fit in our clothes and then rush to bed. After lunch they take a nap, around a 30 minute rest and then they are prepared for the second half of the day. We had this wonderful chestnut spread that we put on the crepe and it was my desire to purchase some to bring home so Lucien and I went to the market. I purchased a lot of wonderful and healthy (just kidding) items that we cannot get back in the states and if we could they would be a fortune. Then we went over to another part of town where I did some shopping and found a beautiful dress and sweater for a total of 30 euros, that is a bargain!

You see, Lucien was a captain for very wealthy people for a long time in his life. I asked him if there had ever been anything scary that happened and he told me about this one time when he was young how he got shipwrecked and was with a young French girl on a life raft for 15 days with no food or water. He then told me that there was actually a story written about him. I want to purchase the book for principle alone. It is called The Rage to Survive written by Jacques Vignes and here is the description they have online: Lucien, congenital escapist, who had bought and refitted a gaff-rigged steel cutter in Beaulieu, and Catherine, nineteen-year-old dropout daughter of a career civil servant, who went sailing with him one day into a storm which forced them on to an inflatable life raft.

Tonight we will have a relaxing time in the castle and then tomorrow morning I will catch a train to San Sebastian, Spain at 8 am. I will arrive in San Sebastian around 3:30pm, to a place not as luxurious as this, and finish off the remainder of my trip. I am completely grateful for Lucien and Cazou for allowing me, someone they had never met, to come into their castle, have a spectacular room that people pay 400 euros for a night, eat with them, and have them show me around this pleasant city. I don't have pictures for you today, only one of my purse! I hope you enjoy it as much as I will.
photo[1]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oooh yes, please give me your opinion!

My world... my thoughts

I can't apologize if you don't like what you read I can only apologize that you stumbled on my page.