Monday, April 2, 2012

Duck (Sent March 15, 2012).

...duck goose.
I have arrived in France and I am staying at the most amazing chateau, or castle, just slightly better than the hostel I have been living at for the past 5 days. Actually, who are we kidding, I am living like a queen. Let me backtrack to the beginning of my day as to not take away any part of my adventure for your enjoyment. I woke up pretty early so that I could make it to La Sagrada Familia before they opened at 9. There is always a tremendously long line and I was on a tight schedule to make my flight at noon, so I wanted to be first. After waiting in the cold for over 30 minutes, I was entered into one of the most amazing sites. The church began construction in 1882. As you know, or you are finding out right now, Gaudi was commissioned to design this cathedral in in 1883 at the age of 31. I can't even begin to describe the church so I will have to include pictures! After finishing up at the cathedral, I hopped on the metro (my first time in Spain since I have walked everywhere) and made my way back to the hostel to check out and grab my backpack. Funny, after only 5 days my light backpack was suddenly something I was dreading wearing with all of the things I have bought thus far. I made my way to the city center to catch the aerobus to the airport and adios Barcelona.

I flew an airline I have never flown before, Vueling. It was so simple and such a wonderful flight, especially for costly a measly $40.00. I was frighted that they wouldn't allow me on with the backpack and were going to make me check it, which would be about an extra 40 euros ($50). My flight was delayed 30 minutes, which made me feel horrible because Cazou would be picking me up from the airport. I was told she would be there with a sign that said, "Nicole." After waiting for 30 minutes and not finding anyone, I decided to call the castle. Cazou answered and said that her husband, Lucien, was there to pick me up. She told me he had white hair and he would be on his way. Suddenly I felt like a lost kid searching out every man with even a speck of white hair. Then that awkward stare down begins as I look at him, wondering if he is going to look at me and ask my name. I started to give up hope as everyone cleared out of the airport, when I looked behind me and saw this man slowly approaching, white hair, and a bent sign. He slowly made contact and went to lift the sign. I saw my name and quickly smiled. I found my ride and had achieved victory! Lucien is such a nice man, with very dry humor. He kept joking around with me and definitely broke the ice between two strangers that didn't know each other. In case you missed this before, my father knows them and had told me about this castle. They have never met me, I have never met them, but alas, we meet in France.

The castle is on 36 acres of property. Deer stream throughout the land and it is magical. Apparently France had a horrible winter last year, pipes froze, and caused much water damage to parts of the castle. It is in renovations and is closed to the public for another 3 months so I get to be here alone with them! After relaxing and getting settled in, in my large bedroom on the south end of the quarters we went out for dinner. I couldn't read the menu because it is all in French and this is not a tourist spot so they don't have an English translation, therefore, I had to rely on Cazou to order everything. She informed me prior to dinner that duck was their delicacy here and that the best food you could have in Southern France was duck liver. Well, we were at a very fancy restaurant and I wasn't about to say, "I don't eat that," so, you guessed it, I had duck liver and duck. Duck is a red meat, somewhat like steak but much leaner. It is actually quite good! Duck liver is, um, well, I am not sure how to describe it other than I wouldn't have it again. It melts in your mouth, not much chewing is necessary. Before dinner we had this amazing goat cheese that was wrapped in a wonton looking thing upon a bed of greens and for dessert, she described it to me as apples in a phyllo dough with ice cream. I took one small bite of the dessert when suddenly I could feel, smell, and taste, a mound of alcohol. They douse, and I mean douse, the top of this dessert with a specific liquor indigenous to Auch. I immediately said, I don't drink, and that pretty much ended that dessert eating haha!

We made our way back to the castle where I am now writing this email. I am excited to just relax here. I am going to explore the small city, indulge in more French meals, sans alcohol, and then make my way to San Sebastian on Saturday morning.

Ciao!
SF 1
SF 2
SF 3
SF 4
SF 5
SF 6
SF 7
The Castle!
outside
France
entrance
Bedroom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oooh yes, please give me your opinion!

My world... my thoughts

I can't apologize if you don't like what you read I can only apologize that you stumbled on my page.