Monday, April 2, 2012

Tarragona and Sitges (Sent March 14, 2012).

Nothing like waking up in the morning, going to put in your contacts and dropping one down the drain. After trying to decide whether or not I wanted to open the drain, it was 7am and I wasnt thinking rift. I turned on the water only to watch the contact I had already thought was down the drain, go down the dark. Thank heavens for glasses because I'm going to be four eyes the remainder of the trip.

I walked over to Catalunya Plaza for my tour to Tarragona and Sitges. Andrew, mu guide from Scotland, did the Figueres tour yesterday. I had actually followed him yesterday to listen to him inside the museum. As luck would have it, he was the guide today. It was awesome for me because there were six people ok the tour and I got to sit in the front seat which meant I got to pick his brain for the hour ride to Tarragona. I learned so many interesting facts about Dali and I wish I had more time to go back. He told me that Dali is actually buried in the museum and that he wanted everyone to walk all over him. The main room of the museum is directly above his tomb. He was married but they never consummated that marriage and after her death he went into a depression and was secluded into a wing of the museum. Dali wanted you to experience things on their own so actually tour guides aren't allowed to say much inside the museum.

Dali left everything to the Spanish government and that's why the city is so poor. They don't receive any money from the museum. He worshipped and somewhat stalked Freud and a lot of his work was geared towards him. The figure with the drawers was to represent that everyone has secrets and they sometimes pull out their drawers or other pull them out. Picasso was also an idol of his.

Salvador Dali was born in 1904 but they say the real Dali was born three years prior. He had a brother named Salvador Dali that died 9 months before Dali was born and his parents believed his brother was reincarnated through him so at 4 they took him to the grave and said look, this is you. He was obsessed with death and thought that him and his brother were like Gemini brothers. One was destined to die and one was to be eternal which is why he had a big ego.

The first stop in Tarragona was the aqua duct, used to carry water to feed Tarragona. It took three months to make this and was built by engineers and soldiers. It is called the devils bridge because they said the architect would never be able to make the bridge without the devils help. Tarragona is a town of about 134,000 people. It is the Third most important Roman city and has the biggest circus. Not a circus with clowns but one with chariots. Imagine the underground shots of Gladiator. It looked like that. The guide let us on our own for two hours to explore the city. I bought the most amazing jacket and then headed into the circus to tour around. It's so amazing looking at history like that. Napoleon blew up a majority of the circus but what's left is very significant to the town.

From Tarragona we went to Sitges, a beautiful town on the Mediterranean sea. I sat down for lunch at this cute little restaurant on the water called Yamuna with sounds of a Spanish man serenading by guitar. I had a fixed three course menu with dorado a la plancha (white fish) with ensalada caprese (mozzarella salad) and a brownie with strawberries. Simply amazing and all for 15 euros.

We drove back and stopped at this hidden house that Gaudi designed. It was awesome and we were not allowed to be there, which made it even more fun. The tour guide was amazing, he gave each of us chocolate indigenous to Tarragona, a cocoa covered almond that was unlike anything I've ever had! Go look up catanies and order yourself a lifetime supply, you won't regret it.

I rushed back to the hostel to meet up with a group that was headed to a Flamenco show and dinner. The Flamenco show was very passionate and interesting to watch. We all headed to this place for dinner that only the locals go to. I had this traditional Spanish meal that consists of spinach with pine nuts and raisins.

It's been an eventful but amazing day. I forgot to mention I ripped my favorite pair of jeans tonight! I would have shed a tear but I haven't had time to morn over them yet! I think that means I've eaten too much.

Tomorrow I'm going inside La Sagrada Familia, which is everything this city is. I thought one f the tours I went on was going to take us inside but it didn't. It opens at 9 am so I'm going to head there before my 12pm flight to Toulouse. I was going to take a train from the airport but my dad's friend, Cazou, is picking me up and taking me to the castle. I'm so grateful for this amazing trip and the adventures I've had thus far and can't wait for what awaits me!
1-Tarragona Aqua Duct
1-Tarragona Devils Bridge
2-Tarragona Streets
3-Tarragona Circus 2
3-Tarragona Circus
3-Tarragona stadium
3-Tarragona
4-Sitges salad
4-Sitges fish
4-Sitges dessert
5-Sitges
6-Gaudi house 1
6-Gaudi house
7-Flamenco
8-Dinner with hostel people

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oooh yes, please give me your opinion!

My world... my thoughts

I can't apologize if you don't like what you read I can only apologize that you stumbled on my page.