Saturday, May 18, 2013

Not Like the Movies.

Sometimes I think I will never be happy. That I am doomed to be single the rest of my life. My mind begins to catalog prior relationship issues that I may have had. When I get annoyed or frustrated I begin to think it is me that is the problem. I've been reading my friend Heather's book, Bigger than Texas, she has a line in there that states how nothing is ever like the movies when it comes to relationships. I'd like to think that our reality is somewhat skewed due to movies. Expectations of love and happiness are slightly difficult to meet. Sure, people live happily ever after but it always takes work. There's a talk that I heard once regarding enjoying the journey, I believe it was by Dieter F. Uchtdorf. I fall guilty of not enjoying the journey many times. If there's a plan to go someplace I rush and rush until we get to that place not enjoying any moment of the journey prior to being at the destination. When I step outside of the box and think about these things, it's obvious that I need to do better. I can be just as happy as everybody else, I just have to enjoy the journey. Sure, I could nitpick about everything going on around me or, I could look for the positive aspects of everything around me. The fact is, no one is perfect. Sometimes I believe that it is Satan that tries to get inside of our head and make us believe that another relationship or another job or another whatever it may be will make us happier. Truth be told, every two years I get sick of my job. I reach a point where I'm bored, I find myself stagnant, and think that something else will be better. I've noticed if I stick it out through that time however, I end up enjoying my job and actually growing. I suppose the moral of the story is, you must be happy with yourself in order to be happy with another person,  in a job, or wherever your life may take you. No job will make your life better, sure it may give you more money but I promise it won't make your life better if you're unhappy with yourself. No human can possibly save all of your problems, it is up to you to turn to Heavenly Father and rely upon his hand. I am prideful. It's a weakness. It's hard for me to take fault, it's hard for me to take blame but I know that Heavenly Father can help me overcome these weaknesses.

1 comment:

  1. I've often thought about how movies influence our expectations for relationships, emotional reactions, conversations, etc. Even the "real life" movies are dramatized...an exaggeration. It's interesting how much a part of us "directed" behaviors become! I like your post...and miss you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Oooh yes, please give me your opinion!

My world... my thoughts

I can't apologize if you don't like what you read I can only apologize that you stumbled on my page.