Sunday, September 2, 2012

Questions.

It's times like these that I wish I had a father or a husband that I could turn to for spiritual guidance.  This weekend one of my friends, who is a Jehovah Witness, her husband posed some questions to me. Not that I doubt or would change my faith but he posed questions which made me think.  He asked what God's name was.  Now if you asked me I would say that the earth was created by three personages, Elohim (God), Jehovah (Jesus), and Michael (the archangel who later is Adam).  But he told me that Elohim is plural for Gods, that which I knew but while reading Bruce R. McConkie's, The Mormon Doctrine, he states that when referred to Elohim as a person it means the God of all God's, the Almighty God. I guess my question that I pose to others out there that may read this is, if Jehovah is Jesus, why in Moses is Jehovah referencing God, is it because Jesus is the God of Israel?

Also- he asked why Mormons participate in politics and fight in wars.  He stated that Jehovah Witnesses stay neutral so that they don't fight amongst their members. I know that the LDS are neutral as a church but encouraged to participate in politics. Her husband mentioned something about how Jesus stated we shouldn't be involved in politics, (I am not sure where that is at, but the question was posed and I don't know the answer).

He went on to ask me about the military because JW's don't participate in the military either.  He said what if we had a war with Sweden and in Sweden there were a bunch of members, we would then be fighting against members of our own faith.

All logical questions and I will continue to study them on my own, I just wanted to ask for advice for any of you smart people out there.

3 comments:

  1. Jehovah (pre-mortal Jesus) was the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Yes, the God of Israel.

    Elohim refers to God The Father only in our context.

    Regarding politics and wars, Article of Faith #12 covers that: "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."

    The Book of Mormon is loaded with references of the righteous defending their liberty, wives and children. Would the JW's sit by and watch their liberty, wives and children be destroyed? I doubt it very much. Words mean nothing when someone is trying to take your life and freedom.

    Regarding politics, the Savior himself said to give unto God what is God's and unto Caesar what is Caesar's. How often were the people in The Book of Mormon active in politics to protect their liberty, etc? It seems inconsistent to me to preach agency for all mankind...and then do nothing to preserve it when it is threatened. The only way for evil to win is for good men to do nothing.

    I hope this makes sense.

    Jon McFerson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping someone would comment on this because I was curious about some of them myself!

    ReplyDelete

Oooh yes, please give me your opinion!

My world... my thoughts

I can't apologize if you don't like what you read I can only apologize that you stumbled on my page.