Thursday, September 13, 2012

30.


I woke up on this morning, channeled Molly Ringwald in Sixteen Candles and studied myself in the mirror—though instead of looking for breasts, I was searching for wrinkles. I felt mildly depressed: I looked the same as when I went to bed! What was all this hype about turning 30?!

I must admit that I haven't conquered the world or made billions of dollars and impacted millions of lives through my example,  but I do have a sense of accomplishment as I write this post on my thirtieth birthday.

People always say they wished they'd accomplished more or that they were at a different place in their life when they reach certain milestone birthdays but I say with confidence that although there are many more things on my to-do list, I'm no where near ashamed or upset at where my life currently stands. Not only does today mark my physical birthday, four years ago on September 13, I made the righteous decision to make sacred covenants with my Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ to join the one and only true church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

My life is no where near perfect. I am not married with a white picket fence, a dog, and three kids. I don't have my dream job. On the contrary, I find myself constantly on my knees daily as I strive to be the woman my Heavenly Father would have me be. I am constantly learning as I am shaped by the trials I am blessed to meet. Amongst all the learning and growing and undiagnosed health issues, today I find myself genuinely happy.  As I reflect upon my life thus far I know...

-What it means to be a true friend.
Listening to people is much more important than talking your head off.

-What it means to have charity and to accept people for who they are.
Judging people or looking down upon people because they are different than you is not a good way to go through this life and it definitely doesn't make you any better than them! I had a friend tell me the other day that she could tell me anything and she knew she wasn't judged. It is my desire that all who come in contact with me feel that over pouring love and support.

-That pizza is always a good option for dinner.
When in doubt, eat pizza.

-That people will let you down, even those you love the most but the Lord never will.
We are human and we are flawed, but that is perfectly ok.  I have learned that when I put my trust in the Lord first, he can mend and shape any relationship I have in my life, even when it seems impossible. If I gave up on my family when they first turned their backs with my decision to join the church, what kind of example would I have set?

-That I can run a marathon, or two, and half marathons as well.
Last year I made a New Year's resolution to run at least six half marathons, well... that didn't happen BUT I do know that I can run them because I ran two in 2011 and a marathon in 2007 and 2008.

-That what you can or can't accomplish all lies within your own confidence.
If you tell yourself you can't do something, then you won't do anything.  You have the power to do whatever you want... you are the only person stopping yourself!

-That anthropologie can make me a happy girl.
Do I really need an explanation here?

-That true, eternal love never dies.
I believe in love, true love, because I have experienced first-hand.

-That distance can't get in the way of true friendship.
My best friend Cait is in Spokane, Washington and although I do not see her nearly enough, true friendship cannot be destroyed by distance.

-That I never think I'm good enough at many things. I am my own worst critic.
I know this is something I need to work on, maybe in the next 30 years I can perfect this. I always think I can do better, I always think others are better, and I always want to be better. Although I know it is healthy to desire to be better at things, I have learned never to compare myself to others.  Everyone has weaknesses, everyone has strengths and if we all had the same strengths and weaknesses this world would be a VERY boring place.

-That traveling not only educates a person but also provides life experiences one may of not learned.
I didn't start traveling until I was 26 and I wish I started earlier. I love traveling and will never stop.

-That money does not buy happiness.
Common misconception. I could have all the money in the world but if I didn't have a close relationship with my Heavenly Father and Savior, wasn't with the love of my life, and didn't have my family, I would be miserable. Happiness to me is in the small and meaningful things.
 
-That I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I thought I knew, but I don't.

-That my brother is one of my most favorite people.
My brother inspires me.  He is a great man, a great father, and he makes me laugh.

-That it is perfectly ok to admit you don't know things.
No one expects you to know everything. Admitting you don't know things is not a bad thing. It is ok to be humble!

I am sure there are many more things I have learned throughout my time here on earth but currently, these thoughts are first and foremost on my mind. I care less about numbers of friends and more about the value of true friendships. I care less about only what's best for me and more about how I can better use my talents to help others.

Thank you for knowing me, whether it is recent or we have known each other our entire lives, you make a difference in who I am as a person! Now let's celebrate... carnival style!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oooh yes, please give me your opinion!

My world... my thoughts

I can't apologize if you don't like what you read I can only apologize that you stumbled on my page.