Saturday, February 8, 2014

Families Can Be Together Forever

When I joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in 2008, it pulled on my heart strings to learn that families could be together forever. In this world it seems that we are all too familiar with death and things that end abruptly, but to know that whatever the circumstances were in this life, that in the life hereafter I could be together with my family was a great belief and something I prayed was true.

As with any principle of the gospel, I have learned by personal experience that the temple is without a doubt the holiest place on this earth and the covenants made inside hold true for time and all eternity. Although I have struggled with the gospel, it is hard being obedient all of the time, we are only human, my testimony rests so firmly on the temple that I would never be able to deny the things I have seen and heard.

In 2008 I had done a bunch of family history work and was ready to bring my own family names to the temple to perform their work. I had a stack of family names and was going through which names to bring in the temple when I came across my grandfather's card. I paused for a moment and then thought, "I can't take his name in, I should have asked my grandmother." (although acceptance of the gospel and the ordinance work that we participate in the temple rests upon the agency of those whose work is being performed, it is customary to ask the next living kin if you can baptize an individual) I left the name in the car and proceeded to the temple doors when I felt a strong prompting to go back and get the card. The prompting continued and only got struggle so I decided to listen and went back for the card. Once in the temple I had a friend perform my grandfather's baptism.  As he was being confirmed the temple worker leaned over and said, "What is your relation to this man, were you close to him?" I replied, "He died when I was two." He continued, "Well he was close to you, or at least he is right now." I had two friends that went on to do his endowment that night and the worker came up to them at the end and said, "I always have a strong feeling when I perform my own family work but nothing like what I felt for that young girls grandfather."

February 3, 2014 marked the one year anniversary that my grandmother, "Goose," has been gone. I knew that I wanted to perform her work and had everything lined out. I would do her baptism on February 4, along with her initiatory and endowment and seal her to my grandfather on February 14 (Valentine's Day) so they could spent February 15 (her birthday) together for eternity! I had such high hopes since I had an incredible experience with my grandfather and my relationship with Goose was immensely stronger. I was careful with every decision down to what I would wear to the temple, including a blouse she had worn and personally made.

The baptism went somewhat array when her name was pronounced wrong, the initiatory was not as powerful as I had hoped, and while waiting for the endowment women wouldn't stop chatting about caddy things. I bowed my head and said a silent prayer that I would feel her in the temple. I went through the session and felt overwhelmed with the spirit as I entered the celestial room. I sat in a corner, bowed my head and closed my eyes to pray, when I was greeted by Goose. I saw her, in her perfect image, standing before me dressed in white with the largest smile I have ever seen. She was grateful and appreciative and beaming with light. The image of her was not like any photograph I had ever seen or any memory I had in this life, it was different, she was perfect! I saw my grandfather at her side. My tear-filled eyes couldn't stop as I reached for a tissue or something to contain my emotions. I wanted to stay in that room forever so I never had to leave her but I also knew in that moment that she would always be with me, she is always with me.

I have no doubt in my mind that families really do live together forever. I know this. I know that this gospel is true and I am forever grateful to be a part of something so amazing and to have such an unwavering testimony about temples.




1 comment:

Oooh yes, please give me your opinion!

My world... my thoughts

I can't apologize if you don't like what you read I can only apologize that you stumbled on my page.