Thursday, June 28, 2012

End of the Rope.

Do you ever feel like you are at the end of your rope? Like you are being stretched in every direction and you don't even have time to gasp for air? Although currently I am excited for time to pass, that is until July 27, and then time can go really slow for 5 weeks :), BUT... right now I feel like everything is a blur from day to day.

Almost a month ago my bishop pulled me in to his office and asked if I would accept the calling to be Relief Society president. Without hesitation I agreed.  Then I was to call counselors and teachers and decide what I wanted to do with the ward. What if I make the wrong choices, what if I don't listen to the spirit? All of these what-if's came into my head and I had to just take a few deep breathes and relax. I will officially get called on Sunday, exciting and nervous.

This past weekend I did just that, relax. I was supposed to go to Orange County to take pictures of my nephew but I wanted to run errands and take things easy because church meetings would start at 8am for me on Sunday. After running a few errands I decided to stop at a Goodwill in Glendale. I spent over an hour in there and got so many good gems. It was like everything I found, I wanted. I have never had such an awesome thrifting experience. As I was in line, and the cashier was taking quite some time to ring everything up, this old man was standing behind me.

"Well, I can't really afford this, but I suppose I will get it." referring to a sports coat he had in his hands.
This old man was amazing, adorable, and my heart had this feeling that without any hesitation I turned to the cashier and said, "I would like to buy his jacket for him." The cashier looked at me in amazement, and confusion, so much that I repeated myself two times.  Finally, I turned to the older man and said, "I would like to purchase your jacket for you." He looked at me puzzled and said, "Oh, that is sweet of you but you don't have to." Now I know I don't have to do anything, but I wanted to. I said, "No, I am serious, I want to buy your coat." He said, "But why?" I looked at him with a smile and simply said, "Because I felt like I should." His face turned from worry to excitement as he informed me that the coat is half-priced and it would only be $6.00. In all honesty, I couldn't have cared if the coat was $20, I had a prompting and I followed through. The cashier gave me my receipt and bags and the old man continued to stand there saying, "Thank you! Thank you so much. How can you be so beautiful and kind? Thank you."

I am sure I will never see that man again, but he will always leave an impression on my heart.  The feeling I had from helping him out was one of the most amazing feelings. He didn't expect anything, and I didn't expect anything, it was just an offer to help a stranger. I hope and pray that I may have the same impact on the sisters of my ward.  Although I may not get a chance to know each and every one of them, I hope that through the spirit I may leave an impression on their lives.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a rockstar, Nicole! Seriously. Amazing. Thanks for sharing that story. You're going to be a phenomenal RS prez!!! The sisters will be all too lucky to have you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this story! You're such an awesome example!

    ReplyDelete

Oooh yes, please give me your opinion!

My world... my thoughts

I can't apologize if you don't like what you read I can only apologize that you stumbled on my page.