Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Camera shy

Who would have known?! They are remodeling the Los Angeles Vistor Center at the temple and are going to put kiosks around the interior with people bearing their testimonies about the Savior. So I think I mentioned before that I auditioned... I guess you can call it that- My bishop recommended my name- the church took auditions of people's testimonies and then chose a few to come back for the real deal. The real deal was today.

I go down to Balboa to shoot and my oh so cute outfit was not oh so weather friendly... therefore I had to put on a jacket, which didn't necessarily match... but oh well. Two cameras, one sound guy, backdrops, fuzzy sound things that look like a dust mop... yes, the real deal. Then they lean over and say, "Don't be nervous... just be yourself, pretend we aren't here." Ya... ok.

At any rate after 45094059 takes I was able to bear my testimony on the Savior, the atonement, his role as the good shepherd and how families can be together forever. Wow... I hope I didn't butcher it too bad and perhaps my testimony will be able to impact some person who sees it.

On to other things... I finished my personal statement... for those who care to read here you have it:

Three years ago, at the age of twenty-four, I had been married and divorced, had run two marathons, and had one unaccomplished goal, to graduate from college. At a time in life when peers my age were finishing college, thinking of getting married and pondering life in the real world, I had surpassed them, not in numerical years but in life experience. The path I had taken was nothing I would have imagined had you asked me as an ambitious seventeen-year-old entering college. Instead of giving up when things did not go as planned, I worked hard to overcome difficult circumstances.


I learned by example that hard work and motivation yield successful results. I watched my mother work three jobs to support our family after my parents divorced. My father moved to Indiana, and despite the distance, I tried to form a relationship with him. At the age of twelve, however, my desire to build a relationship came to a halt as I found myself staring blankly into the barrel of a gun with my father’s finger on the trigger. There is nothing more frightening than watching a person you love allow alcohol to destroy his ability to function as a parent or even as a rational person. Forming a relationship with him after this traumatizing experience took courage. I found myself looking past the fear and searching deeper for the underlying reasons. This incident helped me later understand the role of a lawyer, for whom it is crucial to see past easy impressions, to put aside emotion, and to represent a client to the best of one’s ability.


Although no one in my family ever progressed beyond a high school education, going to college was always something I knew I would do. Because I did not come from a family with means, I had to work a full-time job while in college. In spite of the challenge, I learned the importance of time management and responsibility. I appreciated my education and found the motivation and drive to continue mainly because I was paying for my own tuition. After seven hard years, I finally achieved my greatest accomplishment as I graduated in the May 2007 commencement ceremony from the University of South Florida. When I graduated from college I began working for a senior partner at a high profile law firm. During this time, I was able to attend family law proceedings, prepare pleadings, and be present during mediations. I knew at this time that family law was not the area of practice I would like to go in to, but the law profession definitely attracted me. For the past year, I have worked for an environmental consulting firm. Practitioners at our firm are hired frequently as expert witnesses. My job has given me the opportunity to assist in litigation preparation as well as extensive document research. This experience has allowed me to develop skills which are needed to support an expert witness at trial. Based on my experience, environmental law is an area of practice that I want to pursue.


In September of 2008 I converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. This conversion was not accepted by my family as I was kicked out of the house and highly ridiculed. I continue to stand firm in my faith as I know the decision to become a member is correct. Through my membership in the church and calling as the activities co-chair, I had the opportunity to plan, coordinate and bring forth a state-wide conference of more than ten thousand people, which was held in August of 2009. I know that my positive influence and distinct background will bring diversity to the field.


My best performance has never been predicted in standardized tests. My most successful courses in college were those calling for insightful research, creativity, and analytical reasoning. I want to be a lawyer because I know that I offer the life experiences, aptitude, and respect for the legal profession that can make a positive contribution. I have proven that I have the drive, dedication, and motivation despite difficult circumstances, to achieve success in law school and in my law career.

3 comments:

  1. love the statement. awesome that you got to have your testimony filmed for all to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole- Your statement is beautiful. Absolutely perfect. Any law school would be lucky to have you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate you sharing your life's interesting experiences. You are truly a very blessed young lady with a bright future ahead!!! Life is a marathon!

    ReplyDelete

Oooh yes, please give me your opinion!

My world... my thoughts

I can't apologize if you don't like what you read I can only apologize that you stumbled on my page.